What is Meditation?
Meditation is a practice in which an individual uses a technique – such as mindfulness, or visualization, to train attention and awareness, and achieve an emotionally and mentally balanced state.
4 Popular Types of Meditations
- Mindfulness: Mindfulness meditation involves focusing on breath and the meandering of the mind. By focusing on the present, and detaching yourself from the thoughts that pop into your mind, you can observe and release patterns no longer serving your highest/authentic self.
- Body Scanning: This is another category of Mindfulness Meditation, however, instead of focusing on the ebb and flow of your thoughts, you will concentrate on your body and all of its moving parts from head to toe. Along the way you should be noting places you feel heavy, tense, pain, or any other sensation that sticks out to you. From there you will breathe into that space, and acknowledge any sensations, continuing to do so until the tension or other sensation is released.
- Movement: This meditation has many forms, whether that be yoga, tai chi, or breathwork paired with isolated movements. This will help release stored up tension in your joints and muscles, while simultaneously allowing your body and/or mind to become more familiar with stillness.
Visualization: Visualization Meditation is another meditation technique with various forms, but the most common is to picture positive images, symbols, and ideas. Once you get comfortable try adding in one sense at a time in whatever order you feel called to. Eventually, you can master visualizing with each sense to have a full visualized meditative experience.
What are the physical, emotional and spiritual benefits of Meditation?
Physical Benefits of Meditation
- Pain Reduction
- Enhancement of Immune Response
- Decreases Blood Pressure
- Healthier Aging (Cognition & Memory)
Emotional Benefits of Meditation
- Perceived Stress Reduction
- May Generate Kindness
- Helps Combat Addiction
- Improves Self-Esteem
Spiritual Benefits of Meditation
- Increased Awareness
- Balanced Sense of Being
- Personal Transformation
- Cathartic Release of layered, repressed thoughts and feelings
Which crystals are good for meditation?
All crystals are great meditation companions! Here are some of our favorites, with their respective benefits.
- Amethyst: For enhancing the immune system, reducing headaches, regulating hormones.
- Citrine: Raises energy and increases endurance and stamina.
- Blue Chalcedony: Increases mental flexibility and memory.
- Pyrite: Helps with the release of negative emotions and fear, bringing in abundance.
- Kunzite: Aids in Mind-Heart balance and communication.
- Selenite: Promotes peace & calm, and provides clarity.
- Black Tourmaline: Grounds spiritual energies, and helps in balancing Chakras.
Written by Brianna Colon for Good Juu Juu